Spring or not, this salad is a treat worth investing time on!
By Kankana Saxena
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 big bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- In a pan, mix quinoa with 1-1/2 cup water and bring it to a boil. Once done, reduce it to simmer and allow it to cook until water is absorbed. It should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Once done, take it off heat and let it rest for five more minutes. Later, fluff it using a fork.
- For the dressing, pour everything in a bowl, glass or a jar and whisk until it’s all mixed nicely.
- In big bowl, add all the chopped veggies and cooked quinoa. Give a mix. Now pour the dressing and mix again. Cover and let it rest for an hour or so.
- Just before serving, sprinkle some feta cheese on top and squeeze some fresh lime juice as well.
Kankana Saxena shares culinary journey, travel stories and passion for photography in her blog 'Playful Cooking'. Her cooking style is mostly nutritional with little bit of indulgence here and there. She believes in the mantra 'homemade is happiness'! She is a native of India but currently resides in Santa Clara, California with her husband.