Make the most of your Memorial Day grilling with a barbecue sauce infused with SIMI Sonoma County’s Pinot Noir wine.
What better way to kick off the summer season than with an outdoor BBQ with friends and family and a bottle of SIMI Winery’s Sonoma County Pinot Noir. Enhance the flavor of your pulled pork, ribs, hamburgers, and hotdogs with an easy to make BBQ sauce. A balanced blend of spicy and sweet, the sauce’s combination with the pinot noir’s savory notes of sage, nutmeg and bay and fruit flavors of dark cherry and cranberry will keep everyone coming back for more.
Not only will you have a perfect barbecue sauce, but also a perfect wine to pair with your food.
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 28- ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups SIMI Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- ¼ cup canned chipotle chilies pureed with their liquids (or more to taste)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt or a generous 1 tablespoon granulated salt
- Using a deep pot large enough to hold all the ingredients, saute the onion and garlic gloves in the butter and oil over low heat until partially caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, the wine, and the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered. Stir occasionally.
- Carefully puree the hot mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Simmer 30 minutes longer, or until thickened to your liking. Bottle the sauce or ladle into airtight containers. It will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.