This pesto pasta with shiitakes and tomatoes is a great summer dish. Easy to make, and done in no time.
- 1 lb Fusilli (or any pasta that has some crevaces for sauce to get stuck in)
- Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
- Grape tomatoes, split in half
- Garlic or garlic scape
- Olive Oil
- Basil Pesto: store bought or easily homemade (see below)
- Cook the pasta in salted water. Leave it a little undercooked as it will cook more in sauce. Drain and set pasta aside.
- Saute mushrooms, tomatoes, and a handful of pine nuts in olive oil with a little garlic or garlic scape. Use the same pan you cooked the pasta in so you have room to add pasta back later.
- Add a heaping spoonful of pesto the mushroom/tomato mixture and continue to saute.
- Add desired amount of pasta to mushroom/tomato mixture.
- Add the rest of the pesto mixture and stir into pasta.
- Throw in a little extra parmesan if desired. Season to taste.
- Enjoy hot, warm, or cold the next day.
For homemade pesto, try this recipe:
- Combine the 1-2 garlic scapes (or 2-3 garlic cloves), ¼ cup of pine nuts, 1 lemon (juice and zest), salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse about 20 times, until fairly well combined. Pour in ¼-1/2 cup of olive oil slowly through the feed tube while the motor is running. When the oil is incorporated, transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in ¼ cup of the grated cheese. If you plan to freeze the pesto, wait to add the cheese until after you’ve defrosted it.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main