Enjoy this fantastic pear and chocolate pie recipe from Valentina Mariani.
By Valentina Mariani
Have you been so stressed to want to fly far, far away from your everyday life? And have you ever imagined to do that?
Ok, silly question. Of course the answer is “yes, I did it thousand times”.
But, you know, stressed backwards is desserts…
Trying to find the best way to escape reality, I realized (at the age of 26, almost 27) that there’s no better way to forget a bad day, than switching off the phone, wearing a kitchen smock and starting to… create.
It doesn’t matter if you don’t want to follow a recipes book. Sometimes best creations come from mess, from instinct and from feelings (as Nietzsche said “You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star”)
One of my best creations is the famous pear and chocolate pie. A kind of magic elixir, able to make me happy after the first forkful, and at the same time, able to enchant people and let them fallin in love.
Here is the receipt. Try to prepare it, it’s easy and fast. Forget the rest, invite someone to dine with you and while the pie is baking in the owen dress you up!
But remember.. you are never fully dressed without wearing a smile.
- 85 gms butter + 1 table spoon to grease the tin
- 85 gms caster sugar + 1 table spoon to coat the tin
- 85 gms dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 table spoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 85 gms almond meal
- 3 very ripe pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Cut a circle of baking paper to fit the base of your spring form pan. Brush the inside of the pan with 1 tbsp of melted butter, then line the base with the baking paper and brush it with more butter. Add 1 tbsp of caster sugar, swirl it around to coat the pan everywhere and remove any excess.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. When ready, remove it from the heat.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and keep them aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale. Add the melted chocolate and almond meal and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg whites little by little and gently incorporate them to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture in the pan and level it. Arrange the pears over the mixture, cut side down.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes or until the pears are soft and the cake is cooked through.
- Let it cool down before unmoulding it. When completely cool, dust it with icing sugar.
Gemini with ascendants in Lion (enough said?). Red hair, horse rider and lover, fortune-teller and a little bit witch, but also traveller and photographer! She loves black and white pictures, ancient and forgotten cinemas and the sea. She'd like to live in a forest, (but now she lives in London). As a Lion, she loves meat (both cooked and raw), sushi and salads. As a Gemini, she loves cooking without weighting the ingredients. Valentina's masterpiece in kitchen is her famous pear and chocolate tard! If she was an animal, she would be a horse. If she was a cat, she would be a chocolate souffle, filled with raspberry cream!