In just a few minutes, use authentic Italian ingredients to transport you to Capri with this flavorful pasta salad.
I recently posted a pasta dish from Sicily for the Mazzoni Wines blog and today I was in the island hopping mood, so this one is all about Capri in the summertime! Caprese Salad is probably the most famous export from this amazing island off of Napoli, but I wanted to make a summer pasta salad that I remember having on one of my trips there.
This recipe is all about freshness, flavor combinations and vivid colors. I used ingredients that were imported from Italy…roasted peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, ham, Italian tuna and the very best extra-virgin olive oil. The island cuisine uses what is fresh and grown or caught in the area—tomatoes, fresh fish, fresh herbs and olive oil are staples of most Caprese recipes. This is a great dish to make for the summer, because it only takes a few minutes and it can be transported to the beach or any of your summer parties, and everyone will love it!
- 1 pound Cellentani Pasta
- 2 4 oz. cans Italian tuna, packed in oil, drained
- 8 oz. sliced ham, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 12 oz. package heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz. provolone cheese, diced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 12 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 12 oz. jar fire roasted bel peppers, diced into ½ inch pieces
- ¾ pound fresh green beens, blanched and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, blanched and diced into ¼ inch pieces
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons to coat the pasta
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for 2 minutes less than the cooking time on the package; drain, coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil stir to toss, cover with plastic wrap, set aside and let it cool.
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and whisk together. Adjust the salt if necessary and set aside.
- In a very large bowl add bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, provolone, artichoke hearts, ham, green beans and carrots. Add the vinaigrette, cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate of 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, remove from the refrigerator for 1 hour to bring to room temperature. Toss all the ingredients together with the vinaigrette and serve.