These bacon, leek and cheddar mini quiches are a snap to make, and taste delicious.
By Taylor Kadlec
These are usually gone before I know it (except that one lonely last mini quiche that no one ever wants to snag) and my only regret is always that I didn’t make more. They are a snap to make in the morning, as I make the egg mixture the day before, then all I have to do the day of is cut out the puff pastry, fill, and bake.
- ¾ lb cooked bacon, diced
- 3 leeks, washed, drained, and white and light green parts sliced
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup grated Sharp cheddar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 sheets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, or in the oven at 400 degrees for about 18-20 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve 1 tbsp of bacon fat.
- In same skillet (or new one if you did oven baked bacon), add 1 tbsp of bacon fat over medium heat. Add the leaks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Let cool.
- In large bowl, combine half-and-half, cheese, eggs, egg yolks, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooled leeks and bacon and stir to combine.
- To make the mini muffins, roll out one sheet of thawed puff pastry onto floured surface. Cut roughly 2" squares of puff pastry and press into the mini muffin tins.
- Fill each one right to the top of the dough. Bake in preheated oven about 20-25 minutes, until the filling is puffed and the crust is golden brown. Enjoy!