Sherron Watson with family enjoyed this simple ox-tail soup recipe that warmed their hearts and bodies during this cold time of year.
By Sherron Watson
The meat is tender, but needs to be cooked a long time. If you don’t do this it will come out stringy. The bones make a wonderful beef broth for the soup. I would plan on 2-3 ox tail bones per bowl.
- 4 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of beef stock granules (2 cubes of bouillon)
- 2 pounds of Ox-tail (estimate-8 pieces)
- oil to brown meat
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, diced into big pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a frying pan heat oil.
- Brown each ox-tail on both sides and place into bottom of slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Meat should be tender and vegetables soft. Taste to season.
- I served this with cornbread.
Sherron Watson is a writer and photographer. Her passion for food started at a young age while working with her family in their restaurant business. A career in photography gave her the experience she needed to start capturing images of her favorite dishes. This led to the creation of her blog: simply-gourmet.com. She is currently a food writer for Capital Style Magazine in Annapolis, MD.