These muffins are filled with wholesome goodness of wheat germ, whole wheat, oranges and apples so they make a perfect treat for breakfast, or as that in between meal snack or for a tiny tot’s lunch box.
By Nandita Nataraj
- All pulse flour or maida- 1cup
- Whole wheat pastry flour- ½ cup
- Wheat germ- ½ cup, lightly toasted
- Baking powder- 1 tsp
- Baking soda- ½ tsp
- Cinnamon powder- ½tsp
- Nutmeg powder- ⅛ tsp
- Salt-1/4 tsp
- Brown sugar- ½ cup
- Canola oil- ¼cup
- Freshly squeezed Orange juice- ½ cup
- Unsweetened apple sauce -1/2cup
- Orange zest- 1tspn
- Dark raisins- ½cup
- Combine the all purpose flour,whole wheaastry flour,baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well and sift twice.
- In another large bowl,combine and the oil, sugar,orange juice, apple sauce and, orange zest and beat well till airy.
- Combine the the wet ingredients with the dry. Stir intheorsnge zest and the raisins and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin pan and bakeinthepreheated oven for 20-25mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5min before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The raisins can be replaced with dried cranberries
- Dust the raisins with ½ tsp of flour to prevent them from sink.
- The wheat germ can be replaced with oats.
- the whole wheat flour can be replaced with all purpose flour to make it lighter.
Nandita was born, bred and spread in India, but right now lives in Tanzania where her quest for simple and exotic pleasures of food led to the creation of the blog Paaka-Shaale. She believes that food is not just a means to feed a body. But it is also meant to appeal the mind and satiate the soul.