These hard and dense crackers have a beautiful deep chickpea flavor as they are made from whole chickpeas. Serve them with a spicy dip, cream cheese or sweet jam.
By Chinmayie Bhat
Chickpeas or Garbanzo Bean are a great source of protein, folate, zinc, dietary fiber and are low in fat. I use them regularly in my kitchen. I had never attempted making cracker out of them but I didn’t see a reason for it to not work. I was right. Chickpeas made awesome crackers.
I used whole wheat flour to bind it together and added a little bit of thyme for flavor. These crackers are completely oil free. They are hard, dense and have a beautiful deep chickpea flavor which I loved the most about it. Roll them as thin as possible for the best results. You can get creative with different herbs and spices and I am sure chickpea can be great base for most flavors.
Serve these amazing healthy crackers with any spicy dip, creamy cheese for a great appetizer or sweet jams/jellies for a great sweet snack.
- 250 grams of dry chickpeas
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Soak dry chickpeas in water for 5-6 hours or overnight. Cook them with a pinch of salt till soft.
- Drain all the water and mash the chickpeas well by hand or in a food processor.
- Add the thyme and salt and mix well.
- Now add the whole wheat flour little by little, enough to make hard dough. I used almost a cup.
- Roll the dough between two cling films as thin as possible and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degree C for 25 to 30 minutes till golden and crisp.