PARTNER POST: May 26 is National Pinot Grigio Day. We’re celebrating with Cavit Wines by sharing refreshing spring and summer recipes that pair perfectly with Pinot Grigio.
Easily feed your guests this simple, but classy vegetarian quiche loaded with spring veggies and made with a gluten-free garlic and chive almond-based crust.
The kicker with this quiche (and why I love it SO much) is that swapping your typical pastry crust for a gluten-free, almond-based crust means it’s loads healthier while still tasting every bit as good. What it lacks in flaky butteriness it makes up for in crispy, garlic and chive-scented almond crumbles. And the filling – sautéed kale and asparagus mixed with tangy, creamy goat cheese in a fluffy egg base – is seriously the stuff of my vegetarian dreams. I’m not at ALL vegetarian, but if I were, it would be this filling that would convert me. I swear it’s that good.
All this amazingness comes together in a simple but classy, light but flavor-packed meal that’s perfect for spring and summer nights. And if you’re feelin’ a little extra fancy (or just want to celebrate a warm summer night!) I’m comin’ in clutch with a great excuse to add a cool glass of white wine to the mix. National Pinot Grigio Day is this Friday (May 26th), and this quiche practically begs for a crisp, refreshing glass of Cavit’s Pinot Grigio. So let’s pour a glass, bake up a gorgeous from-scratch quiche, and toast to a national wine day AND Memorial Day weekend, shall we?!
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup avocado oil (or sub extra-virgin olive oil)
- 4 teaspoons water
- avocado oil (or olive oil), for pan
- 1½ cups chopped asparagus
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut milk*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 ounces fresh chèvre/goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and grease a 10" pie or tart pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond meal, garlic, chives, salt, and pepper. Add oil and water and stir in until fully incorporated.
- Press mixture evenly into bottom of pan and about 1¼" up sides. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden and firm to the touch. Meanwhile, prep filling.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with enough oil to lightly coat surface. Add asparagus and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add kale and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring often, just until kale has wilted. Transfer to a plate to briefly cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, salt, and red pepper flakes. Whisk in vegetable mixture. Add chèvre and whisk in until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Pour mixture into crust and bake for another 30 minutes, or until top is golden-brown and center is firm to the touch and cooked through. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Recipe Adapted from Cookie and Kate