Use a crusty bread for this recipe or a baguette slightly toasted. Its a simple recipe that can be put together fairly quickly without any preparations – as long as you have the ingredients in you fridge.
By Pallavi Gupta
- 4 cups a mixed variety of mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp honey
- salt & pepper
- plain cream cheese to smear
- a crusty baguette – sliced
- a few chives for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan. Add garlic and saute for a few seconds – till it starts releasing a nice aroma.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir till the slices are coated with oil evenly. Let the mushrooms cook (stirring occasionally, uncovered) till all the water evaporates and they start browning.
- While the mushrooms cook, in a small bowl add 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic, mustard, honey some salt and pepper and mix well to form the dressing. Keep aside.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked and turn slightly brown, season them with some salt and pepper. Turn the heat off and keep uncovered.
- Toast the sliced bread.
- Smear a generous amount of cream cheese on to the toasted bread.
- Spoon some mushrooms on it and drizzle the dressing on the crostinis.
- Garnish with chives and serve right away.
Pallavi is a vegetarian globetrotter, who currently lives in the southern part of India. Past ten years of her life includes living in six cities in three different countries. It has added to her vast exposure of cuisines from different parts of the world which is now reflected in her cooking. She shares her knowledge of vegetarian and vegan recipe from around the world via her blog Veggie Zest. When not cooking or photographing, she does graphic design.