Your kids will go bananas over these pancakes.
By Kelsey Hilts
Your kids will most likely have fun creating the monkeys, too. I used ingredients that we had in our kitchen – Nutella, bananas and peanut butter – but the options are endless as far as pancake flavors, toppings and “edible art” accessories are concerned.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 bananas, mashed
- Peanut butter
- Chocolate chips
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the wet ingredients.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on each side, making one large circle and one small pancake per monkey.
- Spread Nutella (or another topping of your choice) on the large pancake.
- Spread peanut butter (or another topping of a contrasting color) on the small pancake, and place the small one on top of the large one.
- Use banana slices as ears, use a toothpick to draw a Nutella smile and nostrils for the monkey face.
- Use banana slices and chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Serve plain or with syrup.
Kelsey Hilts is the founder of Itsy Bitsy Foodies, an online resource for families looking for ways to spend more time together enjoying food and exploring the world beyond the children’s menu.