The classic combination of mint and peas paired with an incredibly easy dressing, makes this recipe fast and simple.
By Pooja Mottl
Quinoa is a power plant protein – one of THE BEST whole grains on the planet! A naturally gluten-free grain, cultivated thousands of years ago and considered sacred to the ancient Incas, quinoa is one of few plant-based, complete protein sources. The classic combination of mint and peas paired with an incredibly easy dressing (all you need is 1 lemon, salt, pepper, oil and balsamic), makes this recipe fast and simple. I added a small amount of cranberries and walnuts for texture and a nutty sweetness.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained*
- 1 ¾ cup water + 1 tablespoon for peas
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup organic frozen peas
- 25 fresh mint leaves (about 3 to 4 stems), sliced twice through or torn
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley, roughly chopped (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cranberries (slightly sweetened), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, roughly chopped
- For Dressing:
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground pepper (about 5 full turns of a pepper mill)
- 2 generous pinches sea salt
- 8 teaspoons lemon juice (1 lemon required)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- In a heavy bottomed saucepot heat rinsed and drained quinoa over medium-high heat until it becomes slightly golden brown. Add salt, water, and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Place peas along with 1 tablespoon of water in the same sauce pot and cook over high heat a minute or two until cooked through. Remove, drain any excess water, and transfer peas to quinoa mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients (apart from dressing) and stir to incorporate.
- Place all dressing ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk to incorporate. Drizzle over quinoa and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Enjoy!