The classic combination of mint and peas paired with an incredibly easy dressing, makes this recipe fast and simple.
By Pooja Mottl
Quinoa is a power plant protein – one of THE BEST whole grains on the planet! A naturally gluten-free grain, cultivated thousands of years ago and considered sacred to the ancient Incas, quinoa is one of few plant-based, complete protein sources. The classic combination of mint and peas paired with an incredibly easy dressing (all you need is 1 lemon, salt, pepper, oil and balsamic), makes this recipe fast and simple. I added a small amount of cranberries and walnuts for texture and a nutty sweetness.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained*
- 1 ¾ cup water + 1 tablespoon for peas
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup organic frozen peas
- 25 fresh mint leaves (about 3 to 4 stems), sliced twice through or torn
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley, roughly chopped (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cranberries (slightly sweetened), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, roughly chopped
- For Dressing:
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground pepper (about 5 full turns of a pepper mill)
- 2 generous pinches sea salt
- 8 teaspoons lemon juice (1 lemon required)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- In a heavy bottomed saucepot heat rinsed and drained quinoa over medium-high heat until it becomes slightly golden brown. Add salt, water, and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Place peas along with 1 tablespoon of water in the same sauce pot and cook over high heat a minute or two until cooked through. Remove, drain any excess water, and transfer peas to quinoa mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients (apart from dressing) and stir to incorporate.
- Place all dressing ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk to incorporate. Drizzle over quinoa and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Enjoy!
Pooja Mottl is a Natural Foods Chef & Culinary Instructor, specializing in making healthy food delicious, quick, and simple to cook. Her creations, training, and food philosophy are based on the use of sustainable, organic, and unrefined ingredients to boost flavor and wholesomeness.