Salsa refers to any sauce, particularly spicy and tomato based ones, typical of Mexican and Central American cuisine.
By Prathima Rao
- 6-7 medium sized tomatoes (blanch & peel. you could deseed a few of them if they are sour)
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- jalapenos or green chillies to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- lemon juice to taste
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped coriander/ cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop the blanched and peeled tomatoes, onions, chillies and garlic. Put these ingredients in a food processor and blend along with cilantro, salt, pepper, olive oil to a chunky puree. Taste in between and adjust seasoning if required.
- Transfer to a bowl and add lemon juice. This salsa lasts for a week in the refrigerator.
- Serve as required..
Born and brought up in South India amongst hard core food enthusiasts. Cooking and food has always been a part of Prathima’s growing years with every family gathering accompanied by a scrumptious and elaborate meal. Now, traditional vegetarian food of her community has paved way to contemporary and quicker dishes.