For meatless Monday, this Mediterranean bowl is a simple way of eating healthy even when in a hurry, and are fantastic to be added onto your weekly meal planning now that it’s back to school and most of the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time.
Abundance bowls. Buddha bowls. Nourishing bowls. Various names for one idea: a wholesome, colourful and delicious meal in a bowl. Throughout the year, varying seasonal ingredients, combinations are endless.
I often bulk prepare staples once in a week, such as cooking grains and legumes or roasting vegetables, and we then end up assembling beautiful bowls, adding raw, cooked or fermented vegetables, a luscious sauce and toppings such as spice mix, nuts and seeds, crumbled cheese, etc.
For this Med-inspired bowl, I loved playing with colours, flavours and textures. And if like me, you have a big crush on Mediterranean foods, this bowl will surely be very satisfying…
- •3 courgettes
- •2 sprigs of thyme
- •Salt and pepper
- •Olive oil
- •1 jar roasted red peppers (about 3 medium-size peppers), chopped
- •¼ red onion, peeled and chopped
- •1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- •Juice of ½ lemon
- •2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, quartered
- •250g cooked millet or bulgur
- •250g cooked butter beans
- •2 handfuls Greek black olives
- •200g feta, cubed
- •Za’atar (find the recipe here)
- •Basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Cut the courgettes in half lengthways and slice them into half-moons. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper with the thyme and season with salt and pepper and a good drizzle of olive oil. Mix well and place in the oven for 20-30min until the courgettes are tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the roasted pepper sauce by blending together the roasted peppers, red onion, garlic, lemon juice, 2tbsp olive oil and some salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble the ingredients into a large serving bowl or directly into plates: the roasted courgettes, cherry tomatoes, bulgur or millet, butter beans, black olives and feta. Sprinkle the feta with za’atar and the bowl with basil leaves. Serve with the pepper sauce.