Pastry crust made with tangy yogurt creates a delicate taste and a softness that makes the flaky pastry base all the more tempting.
By Veronica Lavenia
Photos by G. Giustolisi
Pastry crust made with yogurt has a delicate taste and a softness that makes it even more tempting. Choose a good quality plain yogurt and your crust will be special. Rice flour brings this dough together for the added bonus of great flavor and being gluten free.
- 200 g (7 oz) butter
- 100 g (3½ oz-½ cup) raw sugar
- 1 whole egg and one egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder Bourbon
- 400 g rice flour
- 1 teaspoon organic baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Jam or hazelnut spread to taste
- Knead the butter with the sugar, then add eggs.
- Add yogurt, vanilla and continue to mix the ingredients.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, pinch of salt and knead quickly.
- Form a loaf and let it sit in the fridge for an hour and a half.
- Roll out the pastry and gently lying on stencils.
- Bake, in preheated oven, at 180°C (350° F/gas 4), for 25 minutes.
- Stuffed with jam or hazelnut spread to taste.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.