Delicate cupcakes that pack a real flavor punch. A passion fruit coulis inside and on top of the frosting make them vibrant enough to welcome spring.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 stick (113g) margarine/butter*
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- Zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (210g) plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 6tbsp Passion Fruit Coulis
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 and 1/2-3 cups icing sugar. sifted (I needed 3 cups as my kitchen was seriously hot and my butter was almost melted! Start with 2 and 1/2 cups and see what kind of consistency you have before adding any extra)
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 2tbsp Passion Fruit Coulis, plus extra for garnish
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a 12 hole cupcake tin.
- Place the margarine, sugar and lemon zest into a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on med-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary, mix until well incorporated, about 1 minute on med-high speed.
- Add in flour, baking powder and milk and mix on med-high until you have a smooth, well combined batter.
- Place 1tbsp of batter into each cupcake liner, then put 1/2tbsp of passion fruit coulis on top of the batter in the liners.
- Then, place another 1tbsp of cake batter over the coulis, to make sure it’s covered.
- Place in the oven for 18-22 minutes, until rise, golden and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out clean. (Of course, you may end up with a little coulis on your skewer, but it’s easy to distinguish between that and raw batter, the coulis will be wet, shiny and yellow).
- Once baked, remove from tin immediately and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. (Yes, they’re hot, but this stops the liners peeling away from the cupcakes).
- Once chilled, make the frosting: place butter, 2 and 1/2 cups of icing sugar and lemon zest into a large bowl/the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on med-high speed.
- Add in 2tbsp passion fruit coulis and mix until well combined. If frosting is still a little runny, add in up to an extra 1/2 cup icing sugar.
- Once you have the correct consistency, place frosting into a piping bag, with a large open star nozzle and pipe a swirl onto each cupcake. Alternatively, you can spoon frosting onto cupcakes and smooth over.
- Drizzle a little extra coulis onto each cupcakes and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Cupcakes will keep in an air tight container, in the fridge, for 3 days. Take out from fridge 30 minutes before serving.
I don’t normally advocate the use of margarine over butter, but in cupcakes I really think margarine results in a better flavour and texture. Use unsalted butter if you prefer and add a pinch of salt if you do.
- Category: Baking, Dessert