It’s a super nutrient dense slaw full of color and texture. The earthiness of the raw vegetables is softened by the tangy, light, zesty vinaigrette.
I’m not exactly sure why, but so far, this fall has been all about soup, slaw, and salads.
Three bean country cabbage vegetable soup with a spiralized twist.
Roasted beet salad with pecans and goat cheese in a light maple and orange dressing.
Shaved fennel and apple slaw in a light non-fat Greek yogurt dressing.
I wish I had the desire to bake up some pumpkin treats. But all I want is veggies…and lots of them.
My latest Fall Slaw creation is an old favorite refreshed with a light shallot vinaigrette.
Carrots, purple cabbage, and curly kale are each separately pulsed in the food processor until minced. A vinaigrette of shallots, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and olive oil is drizzled over the slaw and tossed to coat with a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. We also add it to leafy green salads for additional texture and flavor.
This Fall Slaw would make a beautiful side dish at Thanksgiving, and being gluten-free and vegan, is a side dish many can enjoy.
- 1 bunch curly kale, ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 small head purple cabbage, core removed, finely chopped
- 4-6 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- For the dressing
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tsp gluten-free dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the kale and shake/pat dry or dry using a salad spinner. Remove the tough inner ribs. Working in batches, pulse a few times in a food processor until finely chopped (not minced into super tiny pieces, enough to have texture). Pour the chopped kale into a large bowl.
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the head of cabbage. Slice in half and trim away the white, tough inner core. Slice into chunks and load into a food processor, working in batches depending on the size of your food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add chopped cabbage to the bowl of kale.
- Peel the carrots and trim the ends. Slice into 1" pieces and pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the carrots to the bowl of cabbage and kale.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the minced shallots and dijon mustard. Add the red wine vinegar and whisk to combine. Very slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking vigorously as you do so, to emulsify the vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the slaw.
- Toss slaw and dressing until combined and well coated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to allow all the flavors to meld. Toss and adjust salt and pepper seasoning before serving.