These cookies are a staple simple dessert in Southern Italy. A fresh and delicate taste, made even lighter by rice flour.
Photo by G. Giustolisi
In Southern Italy, the summer has a special scent. Lemons are the absolute protagonists of simple recipes that become special thanks to this valuable ingredient. The lemon cookies are prepared with the renowned Sicilian PDO lemons from Syracuse. A fresh and delicate taste, made even lighter by rice flour. Being gluten-free, rice flour is suitable for those who are intolerant and for those who love tasty sweets with alternative unrefined flours.
- 200 g (7 ounces) brown rice flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 100 g (3½ oz) light brown sugar
- the juice and peel of 1 organic lemon
- 100 g (3½ oz) high quality unsalted butter, cold
- 2 large organic eggs
- Mix the rice flour with pinch of salt and set aside.
- Whisk the juice and lemon zest in a food processor with the sugar.
- Add the butter and the eggs.
- Add the flour.
- Form a loaf and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry and cut the desired shapes.
- Bake, in preheated oven, at 180°C (350°/gas 4), for 15 minutes.