- 1.5 lb 700 gr beef chicks
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bottle (750 ml good quality red wine)
- 1 tbsp double concentrated tomato paste
- 3 springs of rosemary
- 1 clove
- 1 tbsp mixed ground peppercorn
- 1 tsp juniper berries
- To taste table salt
- Wash and dry the beef cheeks. If the butcher has not already done so, discard the subcutaneous tougher fat.
- Save the softer fat, will give more flavor at the meat during cooking, making it even more tender.
- Now, massage the beef cheeks with a generous grinding of mixed peppercorn and let it rest a few minutes while preparing the other ingredients of the marinade.
- While the meat rests, cut coarsely 1 medium onion, 1 carrot, and 1 clove of garlic.
- Pour the vegetables in a large bowl, along with the meat, the crushed juniper berries, the clove, and the springs of rosemary.
- Pour the wine until it will cover all the meat, mix, cover with a sheet plastic wrap and let’s marinate between 8 and 24 hours in the lower part of the refrigerator.
Beef cheeks stew
- Separate the wine (do not discard it!) of the marinade from the other ingredients.
- Pour the wine into a pot and heat it until it starts to simmer. Meanwhile, pour the other ingredients in a dutch oven with the olive oil and cook over low heat until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Add the double concentrate tomato paste.
- Now add the beef cheeks along with the vegetables and cook stirring until all the meat is sealed in all its parts.
- At this point, add the wine, raise the heat and bring to simmering.
- As soon as the wine starts to simmer, cover with the lid, transfer the pot on the smallest heater operated at idling and cook about 3 h and 30 mins, until the meat is tender and well cooked.
Red wine sauce and finishing
- When the beef cheeks are extremely tender and well cooked, drain them from cooking liquid and let’s put aside in a covered pot.
- Mix the vegetables along with the wine, sift everything with a sieve and cook again the sauce over high heat until to obtain a creamy gravy.
- When the sauce is reduced, lower the heat to low, add the meat and salt to taste. Cook 10 minutes more covered and finally serve hot.
- Category: Secondi