Few Indian snacks evoke the kind of love and response across all the states in India as does Bhujiya Sev or Bhujia or simply Sev.
By Sonia Mangla
Sev is a crunchy and spicy snack to munch anytime of the day and any occasion. If you skip Aloo (potatoes) it is known as besan bhujiya (chickpea sev). Give it a shot and I’m sure you will love to munch it till last and tastes superb by adding little bit of onion and a few tomato chunks (dont forget to squeeze some fresh lime juice & add a dash of chat masala).
- Boiled Potato: 1
- Chickpea Flour: 1 cup
- Rice Flour: 2 tsp
- Chilli Paste : ¼ tsp
- Ginger Paste: ½ tsp (or add ginger powder)
- Salt : ½ tsp or to taste
- Carom Seeds: ½ tsp
- Chat Masala: 1 tsp
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Water: ¼ cup or adjust to requirement
- Sieve chickpea flour and rice flour in a bowl.
- Grate the boiled potato and add to the flour.
- Season the flour with spices, ginger and chilli paste.
- Slowly add water to the flour and make a dough.
- Heat oil in a deep wok or frying pan or a Deep Fryer.
- Fill the Sev machine (or you can perhaps use a Pasta Machine) with the dough and rotate it in clockwise direction into the hot oil.
- Deep fry till it turns golden brown from both sides.
- Drain it on the paper towel.
- Let it cool down for a while and enjoy with cup of your favorite tea or coffee.