It’s about time to learn how to make your very own homemade mozzarella sticks. They’re loaded with cheese, coated in panko and shallow pan-fried to golden deliciousness.
They’re melty, they’re crispy, they’re hot, and oh man are they CHEESY!
Mozzarella sticks are such a major crowd pleaser, it’s ridicuolous. Really, I can never believe how quickly they get devoured by my family, particularly the dudes, but actually everyone loves them. They’re essentially just a different form of pizza, right? Game-changers, that’s what these are.
I just simply can’t tell you about these without thinking of my sis. She’d tell you this herself so it’s not like I’m talking behind her back or anything, but when she was pregnant with my nephew she says that she literally ate an entire Costco-sized box of mozza sticks all by herself. Not only that, but they became her go-to morning sickness cure for some reason. I think the whole thing is super funny. Oh, and I’ve already practically sworn to make these for her when she’s going through that again. Although, it’ll probably be something totally different that she craves next time.
So I feel pretty safe in declaring that these are well worth your time in trying them. There really is no comparing these to the frozen variety. I’m telling you, using the fresh and real mozzarella makes so much difference and then you can also have complete control over the flavor you want to coat them in. I like using Italian seasoning or sometimes I just use plain breadcrumbs. The best way to do them though, is to use some crushed chip crumbs mixed with panko. Whenever we have some mostly empty bags of chips lying around (usually left around the gaming room, messy boy) I save them for precisely this purpose and it is like a secret ingredient that makes them amazing.If you guys try these I’d love to know how you like them and please let me know if you have any questions or feedback in the comments!
Homemade Mozzarella SticksTori Cooper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs or you can use chip or cracker crumbs, it's the best!
- salt and pepper to taste
- pizza sauce or marinara sauce for serving
- Cut the cheese into sticks that are about 1/2 inch thick. Whisk together the egg and milk in a small shallow bowl and dip the sticks first into the egg mixture, then the flour, then the egg mixture, and then into the breadcrumbs and turn to coat all sides. Place them all on a plate or tray in the fridge to chill a little while you heat the oil.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat (alternatively you can use a deep fryer.) Fry a few sticks at a time for 1 - 2 minutes per side, watching carefully if they start to melt into the oil. then remove to paper towel lined plate. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with warm marinara sauce if desired.
Tori is a food blogger with a passion for what she does. She shares all her recipes, photography, and bits about her life living in Patagnia Chile on her blog, Gringalicious.