Make a delicious warm salad on the barbecue or in a grill pan and top it with seasonal vegetables and root-based dressings.
By Tania Cusack
No doubt, who ever you are you have heard of chia. I am just beginning my experiments with chia or Chia seeds. Its a spieces of plant from the mint family. It’s leafy and it flowers but the seeds are what the plants are grown for and those seeds are full of omega 3 fatty acids and full of 25-30% extractable oil. There are a few types of Chia, they are mottle-colored with brown, gray, and white.. and a luxurious black Chia.
You can make this delicious warm salad on the Barbeque or in a grill pan. It can be also totally vegetarian if you wish.
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon Beetroot powder
- 1 Tablespoon of White wine vinegar ( or cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil ( or Lemon macadamia oil)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Lamb leg steaks
- 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 bunches of Asparagus
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (approx)
- 150 gm Danish Feta Cheese
- ¼ bunch of chopped chives
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- ¼ iceberg lettuce ( shredded) / or equivalent of Rocket
- 50gm toasted pinenuts
- Soak the chia seeds in the water till they are gelatinous. Pour these into a jar with a lid then add the vinegar, oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper and beetroot powwder. Shake well and set aside.
- Toss the asparagus in the oil and put onto a hot grill. Turn to lightly colour and remove and set aside ( 1-2 minutes). the Asparagus should still be slightly firm and nicely coloured.
- Mix the dijon, oil, picked rosemary leaves, pepper and salt in a bowl and coat the steaks in this mixture and using the same hot grill cook the steaks for 5 or so minutes untill medium rare. set aside to rest
- Put the shredded lettuce, pinenuts,chives, sliced lamb and asparagus into a bowl or on a platter and sprinkle with feta and dressing.