Add some delicious, earthy notes with chocolate tones to your next steak. Check out this recipe that rubs the meat with cacao nibs.
We love chocolate and we love a great grilled steak. So why not put them together just in time for the 4th of July?
This cacao nib rub is made with Scharffen Berger’s nibs, ground spices and brown sugar. Together with the other ingredeints, the cacao nibs bring an unexpected, sophisticated flavor to grilled meats, especially steak. They add a slightly nutty, earthy flavor with chocolate overtones. Try the rub in a tri-tip, skirt or flank steak.
Grilled Cacao Nib Steak
- 2 tablespoons SCHARFFEN BERGER Cacao Nibs
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1-2.5 pound tri tip roast fat cap left on
- To make the rub, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, spice grinder, or mortar and pestle.
- Grind until the nibs break into particles about the size of coarse cornmeal. Use immediately or store in a tightly covered jar for up to one month.
- Rinse and pat the roast dry with paper towels. Generously cover the meat with the rub and wrap in foil or saran wrap. The roast can marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. In the meantime, fire up the grill. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking, with the coals to either side. Place the meat on the grill, fat side up, not directly over the coals. The internal grill temperature should be between 275 and 300 degrees F. Grill the meat for 40 minutes. Check the temperature with an instant read thermometer. For medium rare meat, remove from grill when the thermometer reads 125 degrees F. Let the roast sit, loosely covered with foil, for several minutes before slicing.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.