Homemade strawberry jam and maple syrup sit atop fluffy cornbread pancakes for an awesome spring brunch. Try them for dessert, too with a scoop of ice cream.
By Amanda Marie
These days, on weekend mornings, my favorite thing in the world to do is run along the west-side highway, and then end up at Bubby’s in Tribeca, where I order the sourdough starter pancakes with homemade jam. Ahhhh, the best. The absolute best.
Today, I was in a pancake-y mood, and after coming back from the south last week, I have been wanting to mess around with this cornbread recipe from Sean Brock. I decided to tweak his cornbread recipe and turn it into pancakes, and then make things really unusual and veganize it by adding a Chia egg for spring power (after all, Chia seeds are the runners superfood). To (literally) top it all off, I made some homemade strawberry jam. For the second batch, I then also threw on some ice cream, because life is fun.
- 1 cup Cornmeal (finely ground)
- 1 Tbs Chia seeds
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbs Milk of choice (Almond, Coconut, or regular if not vegan)
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tbs Coconut Sugar
- 2 cups sugar (I do half coconut sugar, half white/cane sugar)
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1½ pints fresh strawberries
- Make your chia egg by following this recipe: Grind your 1 Tbs of Chia seeds with a spice grinder or mortar and pestle into a fine meal, and then add in 3Tbs water. Allow this to sit for about 5-7 min, until it turns into a gel.
- Combine your milk, baking soda, and baking powder until dissolved. Stir in the cornmeal, and then your chia egg. The batter consistency should be that of a normal pancake batter, albeit a bit coarser (you can add more liquid if it seems too thick. [Note: I love fluffy pancakes, so if not vegan, you can add about 1.5 tbs egg whites for more lift, but totally not necessary]
- Heat your cast-iron skillet, or frying pan, with oil/butter of choice (I used coconut). Wait for the pan to get hot before pouring in your batter. Let the pancakes sizzle on medium heat and flip each when it starts to turn golden brown on the underside and the top begins to bubble. Cook on the other side until it's golden brown. Plate your cornbread pancakes.
- Top them with lots and lots of fresh strawberry jam, recipe below. I really dislike when jam has added pectin, and this recipe is soooo simple and delicious. You can also add maple syrup, and if you're feeling awesome, add some vegan or regular ice cream.
- Combine the sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice over low heat in a pan for 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the strawberries and continue to cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour into the canning jars