Almonds and pureed quinoa replace the flour in this decadent cake. We promise you won’t miss the flour one bit.
By Kimberly Killebrew
Gluten-Free Chocolate Almond Cake
Almonds and pureed quinoa replace the flour in this decadent cake. We promise you won't miss the flour one bit.
Author: Kimberly Killebrew
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, loosely packed
- 4 egg yolks
- ? cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- For Chocolate Almond Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Slivered almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9×2 inch round cake pan.
- Place the cooked quinoa in a blender along with the milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract, almond extract, butter and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir the quinoa mixture into the sugar mixture until combined. Stir in the ground almonds.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Using the rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean but moist.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully inverting it onto a plate and then carefully inverting it again (top side up) onto a cake platter to cool completely.
- To make the Chocolate Almond Glaze: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the completely cooled cake, spread evenly over top and sides of cake. Immediately sprinkle with the slivered almonds. Allow the glaze to dry before serving.