You are going to love the combination of these vanilla squares with a chewy chocolate center.
By Nicole Medgenberg
- 250g Butter
- 1 Ts Vanilla extract
- ½ ts salt
- 250g Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g Flour
- 2 ts baking powder
- ½ cup + 3 Ts milk
- 50g Cocoa
- 2 Ts rum
- Beat butter for 2 minutes until white and fluffy. Gradually add vanilla, salt and 200g sugar, continue beating.
- Add eggs one by one and continue beating.
- Mix flour with baking powder. Add this mixture to the blender, exchanging with drops of the ½ cup milk.
- Separate ⅓ of the dough and add the 3 tablespoons milk, remaining sugar, cocoa and rum, mixing until incorporated.
- In a greased and floured baking pan, add ⅓ of the vanilla dough, chocolate dough on top, and finally the other ⅓ of vanilla dough. With a fork, make spiral shapes to incorporate a little.
- Put in oven at 180°C for 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. When cool, cut into squares.
Nicole Medgenberg is a German-Mexican food, travel and lifestyle journalist based in Mexico City. She writes for several Latin American publications including National Geographic Traveler and Cosmopolitan Magazine. She has a passion for traveling, eating local food, cooking and writing about it all in her food blog La Cocinera con Prisa.