PARTNER POST – #GarnachaDay is September 18th, join in the celebration of one of the world’s oldest grapes with deliciously paired recipes and enter to win a special tasting.
Crunchy crostini feature the last of golden, sweet summer corn with creamy avocados, queso fresco, cilantro and chili. A perfect creamy and spicy duo to be paired with versatile Garnacha wine.
By Chris Cockren
Summer is already starting to slip through our fingers. It’s getting dark earlier and earlier. Halloween candy is stocked in full force. And my fall jacket is staring me straight in the face.
But here in NY, our summer corn is still pretty darn perfect. And anyone that knows me knows that I’m obsessed with the stuff.
And now, as a super easy entertaining appetizer. Mexican Street Corn and Avocado Crostini. Welcome to the party.
For me, this is like the perfect summer party appetizer. I love Mexican Street Corn and everything, but let’s be honest. Going to town on a full ear of corn at a party isn’t the most pretty thing ever. You squirt corn juice all over the place. You kinda look like a savage. And then you have all that corn in your teeth.
But these creative crostini beauties? They are perfect 2 bite appetizers. Okay, maybe 3 or 4 bites if you have a normal size mouth.
And if you want bonus points when serving up these Mexican Street Corn and Avocado Crostini, make sure you’re serving up some fermented grape juice. Wine. Serve wine.
And hey, check out Wines of Garnacha. It’s a Mediterranean grape varietal that first originated in Spain and is now grown in France, Italy, and the US. Wines of Garnacha produces a whole bunch of different wine styles and flavors, including both red and white wine, and is perfect for the summer. Okay, it’s perfect for any season really. And at only $10-20 a bottle, it’s a pretty sweet deal.
Click the image below to enter to win a Mediterranean feast for four in your hometown, paired with the best of Garnacha wines.
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 4 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced, divided
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup Queso Fresco, crumbled*
- ¼ cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook corn for about 5-7 minutes. Remove corn from pot and set aside.
- Preheat grill or grill pan on medium-high heat. Rub corn with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with Kosher salt. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred all over, approximately 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly. Cut kernels from cob and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Grill sliced baguette until toasted, approximately 1 minute per side.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ½ of lime juice, paprika, ancho chili powder, and chili powder. Season with Kosher salt. Add to corn kernels and stir to combine.
- Mash avocados in a small mixing bowl and combine with remaining lime juice. Season with Kosher salt.
- Top toasted baguette slices with mashed avocado and corn. Sprinkle with Queso Fresco and chopped cilantro. Devour.