Priya put freshly picked zucchinis from her garden to work to make these delicious bajjis or fritters.
By Priya Mahadevan
- 1 cup Fufu Flour
- ¼ rice flour
- ¼ cup besan
- 2 tsp chili powder (I used sambar powder)
- a pinch of asafetida
- Salt to taste
- about ¾ cup of water to mix into a fluid batter
- oil to fry
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- Cut the zucchinis into ¼ inch rounds
- put fresh oil in a deep pan and heat
- mix the ingredients to make the batter
- Ensure the oil is hot enough by dripping a little batter into it - If the batter pops up to the surface quickly, it is ready
- Dip the zucchinis in the batter making sure it is fully coated on all sides.
- Repeat the process until the pan is full but not over-crowded
- cook until the batter is golden brown
- Remove from oil, draining them completely with a ladle that has holes in it.
- Place on a dish lined with paper towel.
- Serve hot with ketchup or by itself
Priya Mahadevan is a writer and food blogger with a background in journalism & communication. Priya's mission with her food blog is to blow the myth that healthy cannot be tasty. She was a political and feature correspondent for a prominent Indian newspaper in the 90s before moving to the US. She lives in Virginia with her husband and 3 beautiful children. You can find her world of vegetarian recipes at http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com.