Homemade strawberry ice cream made with rich heavy cream and speckled with fresh spring berries. A creamy delight to cool you down in sweet style.
By Jocelyn Delk Adams
This sensational strawberry ice cream should be made now with spring berries and enjoyed all summer long.
- 3 whole large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 pound of strawberries, pureed with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Red food coloring, if desired
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add sugar to the bowl and whisk together.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a large pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk together to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn't scramble.
- Stir in strawberry puree, vanilla extract, and food coloring, if using.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Add your mixture to an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions and freeze.
- Store in freezer while not serving.