Try adding fresh blueberries to the batter or for a more indulgent treat, some chocolate chips.
By Martyna Candrick
- 160g plain unbleached flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar or stevia
- pinch of sea salt
- 50g (lemon myrtle) macadamia oil
- 2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh (whipping) cream
- 2 tbsp Cointreau
- 2-3 squares dark chocolate
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, macadamia oil, yolks and half the milk until smooth. Add remaining milk and zest and set the mixture aside for 10 minutes to “develop”.
- Heat waffle iron to hot.
- In the meantime, beat whites until firm peaks form. Add the whites to the mixture and fold through gently.
- Ladle batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook for 4 minutes or until the waffles are starting to turn golden brown and the steam stops coming from the machine.
- Whip cream with Cointreau until soft peaks form. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Dollop waffles with the whipped cream and a dusting of chocolate shavings.
Martyna is a Polish-born Australian recipe developer and food blogger. Her creativity and passion for good food shines through in many of the delicious and easy to prepare meals which she cooks, styles and photographs for her blog, Wholesome Cook. Fresh cream-filled eclairs are her only weakness.