Try making this simple jerk seasoned and marinated chicken with spices you probably already have in your cupboards. Throw them on the grill for extra smokey summer flavor.
By Aaron Hutcherson
The more traditional jerk chicken recipes, such as this one from Food & Wine, include a mixture of onions, garlic, Scotch bonnet chiles, and nutmeg along with a number of other ingredients. The main tenets of jerk seasoning are heat, fragrance, and deliciousness. What follows here is a slightly bastardized version that utilizes ingredients most regular home cooks will have in their pantries. The best part? It’s incredibly simple to prepare. Don’t believe me? Try!
- 3 Tbsps. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsps. salt
- 2 Tbsps. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground allspice
- 2 tsps. black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsps. apple cider vinegar
- 2 lbs. chicken wings
- sliced scallions, for garnish
- Combine all spices, oil, and vinegar to make a marinade. Toss with chicken to coat. Refrigerate for three hours (or longer if time permits).
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Spread wings in an even layer on a foil lined sheet tray. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and garnish with scallions.
I am a classically trained chef, writer, and lover of all things food. My passion for food is even greater than my love of sleep (which is saying a lot). Hopefully my recipes will inspire you to go out and cook something of your own.