It’s hard to think of salads in the cooler months that use seasonal produce and are still refreshing. This Italian-inspired side made with fennel, sesame seeds, pistachios and Parmigiano Reggiano is a great way to get your winter vegetables.
photo by G. Giustolisi from THE VEGETARIAN ITALIAN KITCHENPrint
- Author: Veronica Lavenia
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 fennel bulb
- Extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 ounces toasted sesame seeds
- 2 ounces shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
- Sicilian pistachios (chopped, to taste)
- Wash the fennel, remove the hard part of the core and cut into 4 pieces lengthwise (keeping the feet on the core). Slice, rinse and dry using a centrifuge salad spinner or just blot with a clean cloth.
- In a bowl, pour the oil, salt and pepper and toasted sesame seeds, whisk with a fork and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the fennel and stir.
- Add the grated Parmigiano flakes and pistachios and serve.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.