After a week of these vibrant green drinks for breakfast, Carly DeFilippo can attest that they’re energy in a cup.
By Carly DeFilippo
- ½ cup water
- 2 celery stalks
- ½ cucumber
- 3 romaine leaves
- 5 kale leaves (de-stemmed)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- Lemon juice/lime juice/unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Pour water into your blender.
- Finely chop and add to blender (one vegetable at a time) celery, cucumber, romaine, kale, avocado.
- Scoop out ripe avocado, blend into mixture.
- Add minced/chopped ginger and herbs to mixture.
- When you are ready to serve, add acidity to taste: either a healthy squeeze of lemon/lime juice, or - for an extra-healthy boost - a splash of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
Carly is a Contributing Writer at Honest Cooking. Though the first line of her college application essay was "I love tunafish," it wasn't until she pursued graduate studies in Paris that she ever considered a future in food. Based in Manhattan, Carly is a freelance writer and the co-founder of Cognoscenti Creative, a boutique branding agency dedicated to establishing artisans as influencers.