Chocolate Nutella cake teams up with a hazelnut and rum chocolate glaze. It stays delicious in the fridge for a couple of days and is even gluten-free.
By Ann Low
Look at this cake, it has a waistline but this gluten free Nutella Cake is utter, sinful indulgence. It is not only dense and chocolately, it’s also moist at keeps for multiple days in the fridge. A quick and simple delicious cake for all occasions.
- 3 Large eggs (separated)
- a pinch of salt
- 65g Soft butter
- 200g Nutella spread
- ½ tbsp Rum or water
- 50g Ground hazelnuts
- 50g Valrhorna chocolate (66%), melted, cooled
- 100g Hazelnuts, toasted (170C toast for 5 mins and cooled)
- 65g Whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Rum
- 65g Valrohrna chocolate or semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and Nutella spread together with a hand whisk, and then add rum, egg yolks and ground hazelnuts.
- Fold in the cooled, melted chocolate, then lighten the mixture with a large dollop of egg white, which you can beat in as roughly as you want, before gently folding the rest of them in a third at a time.
- Pour into a 8 inch round greased and lined cake pan and cook for about 35-40 minutes or until the cake's beginning to come away at the sides, then let cool on a rack.
- In a sauce pot, add whipping cream, rum and chopped chocolate together. Stir till melt under low flame. Remove pot immediately once chocolate melted and stir till smooth with 1 tablespoon extra Nutella spread.
- As the cake is very delicate, gently remove it from pan. Pour icing over it and spread evenly. Lastly scatter toasted hazelnuts on top. Chill the cake for 1 - 2 hour before serving.