This is Danish chef Adam Aamann’s favorite recipe for rugbrød; the base of his delicious traditional open sandwiches: smørrebrøds. Once you’ve baked a loaf you can simply eat a slice with butter, or experiment with smørrebrøds recipes.
Denmark’s Rye Bread – Rugbrød by Adam AamannAdam Aamann
- 12 oz dark rye flour about 3 cups
- 3.5 oz whole wheat flour about 1 cup
- 4 oz sourdough starter about 1 cup, recipe follows
- 16 oz warm water 2 cups
- 0.5 oz molasses 1 tbsp
- 0.5 oz kosher salt 1tbsp
- 6 oz seed mix about 2 cups,equal parts sunflower, flax, and pumpkin seeds.
- 6 oz dark rye flour about 1.5 cups
- 4 oz warm water 1/2 cup
- 2 oz dark beer 1/4 cup
- 0.5 oz molasses 1tbsp
- 0.1 oz dry yeast about ½ tsp, or 3 oz (3/4 cup) previous batch of starter
- TO MAKE SOURDOUGH
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined (about 1 minute on low speed in a stand mixer).
- Let rise at room temperature until slightly bubbly, 2-3 hours.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, or up to 5 days (the longer the time, the more sour the mix will be).
- FOR THE FINAL DOUGH
- Mix all ingredients except seeds until thoroughly combined (about 5 minutes on low speed in a stand mixer).
- Add seed mix and incorporate into dough (about one additional minute in a stand mixer).
- Cover dough and let rise at room temperature until bubbly and nearly doubled, 3-4 hours.
- Mix dough with a spoon or spatula to deflate; pour into a greased 2-pound bread mold.
- Give the dough a final rise until bubbly and slightly risen, 1-2 hours. Optionally, refrigerate overnight for more complex flavor.
- Bake loaf in a preheated 300 degree oven with a pan of water on a lower rack (for steam) for 90 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and return to oven, bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for at least an hour before slicing.
Hungry for more?
Colombian based in Barcelona • Master in Marketing / Gastronomy • PR & Culinary Liaison • Food writer • @nataliabhqz