A rice bowl is sort of like the warm version of salad, with lots of steamed vegetables and plenty of texture, and this bright and tangy vinaigrette is delicious.
By Katherine Sacks
If you don’t have smoked tofu, or can’t find it, enhance the flavor of plain tofu by marinating it in a mixture of soy sauce and chili paste.
- 1 cup brown rice, wheat berries, barley, or desired grain, cooked
- 1 small white or red onion, thinly sliced and soaked in apple cider vinegar
- ½ sweet potato, cubed and steamed
- 1 small carrot, sliced thin and steamed
- ½ cup sliced kale, steamed
- 1 cube smoked tofu, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Bean sprouts
- Sesame seeds
- Small nub ginger
- 1 orange
- ½ tablespoon miso
- ¼ tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Grate the ginger and zest the orange into a bowl. Juice the orange into the bowl, then add the miso and the honey. Stir together with a fork until well combined, then whisk in the oil.
- Spoon the grains into serving bowls, spreading flat to create a base. Lay the sliced tofu and sliced avocado on either side of each other on top of the grains. Lay the kale, onion, carrot, and bean sprouts around grains, and place the sweet potato in the center.
- Spoon the dressing on top of the vegetables and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.