A simple Alfredo sauce takes the cream and cheese out of the classic version but retains so much flavor. A vegan sauce uses creamy almond milk to make a dietary-friendly dish.
By Serge Lescouarnec
- 4 tablespoons butter or Earth Balance
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 ½ tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 16 ounces fettuccine, cooked
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and shallots together until the shallots are softened and aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot powder and vegetable stock, then pour it into the skillet. Whisk in the almond milk and nutritional yeast. Cook it just until the sauce thickens and is steamy. If you're using cornstarch, whisk just until the sauce begins to boil and thicken.
- Remove from the heat and serve it over the fettuccine. Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Also known as Serge The Concierge, food and wine are essential parts of the DNA of New Jersey based Serge Lesouarnec. His French roots guarantee strong opinions on food, wine and travel, topics he has been writing about since 2005.