This is one of those unfussy and deeply satisfying salads that is simple enough to prepare for a weekday lunch or dinner. It’s filled with fall’s best flavors, including my favorite – delicata squash. If you haven’t tried delicata, I would encourage you to do so. It will soon become one of your go-tos.
For the squash + chickpeas:
- 2 small delicata squash (about 1 – 1½ pounds total)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (if using canned, drain + rinse)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- pinch of Aleppo pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- small handful of parsley leaves
For the vinaigrette:
- Click the link above.
For the salad:
- 1 bunch mustard greens
- toasted sunflower seeds (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Slice both squash in half crosswise. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Slice each half into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash + chickpeas with the oil, vinegar, syrup, lemon juice, spices, salt, and parsley until evenly coated. Pour everything into a large cast iron skillet (preferably), or a large sheet pan. Arrange in a single layer and roast until the squash is caramelized and soft when pierced with a fork, about 25 – 30 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- To make the vinaigrette, click the link above.
- In a large bowl, toss the mustard greens with a drizzle of the vinaigrette. Divide the greens between plates and top with the squash + chickpeas. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds to garnish and enjoy.
- Category: Salad