You’ll want to season the potatoes with freshly ground pepper, but because blue cheese is fairly salty on its own, you probably won’t need any additional salt.
By Susan Benton
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup hot half-and-half
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain well and return to the pan on the stove top to evaporate any extra water, if necessary. Pass through a food mill or mash with a potato masher.
- Stir or mash or beat in the butter, sour cream, and milk until fluffy. Do not use a food processor.
- Gently fold in the blue cheese and pepper.
- Lightly coat the inside of the crock with butter or nonstick cooking spray and spoon in the mashed potatoes. If you like, press a pat of butter into the top.
- Cover and keep on KEEP WARM or LOW for 4 to 5 hours. Serve at the table in a bowl or right from the crock.