This appetizer is quick and healthy, but without compromising on taste.
By Prathima Rao
For an instant gratification, a quick bite at a fast food place may satisfy your hunger for a while. But does it guarantee a healthy meal? While pondering on this thought last week I remembered this simple, quick recipe I had come across and had bookmarked to try. What made me delay in trying this out was the fact that it hardly had many ingredients – flavorful, fiery ones that is. We are so used to eating spiced-up dishes or foods loaded with herbs or sauces. In this only sesame is used to lend flavor!
Curiosity and the interesting way to cook tofu made me eager to try it out. And off I went to get a packet of tofu and try this delicious Japanese appetizer. And we were NOT disappointed with the results. In fact it tasted great and falls in cannot-have just-one category! This fried tofu can be served as an appetizer with a hot, sweet & sour flavored sauce or with an array of different sauces. Goes well when served along side with soups too.
- Tofu (drained well) - 12 pieces of 2”x 1”
- Oil to shallow fry
- For the batter :
- Plain Flour/ Maida - ½ cup
- Cornflour - 2 tbsp
- Baking Powder - ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper powder - to taste
- Salt - to taste
- For crispy coating :
- Crushed cornflakes (crush till almost fine) - ½ cup or as needed to coat
- Black sesame seeds - 1 to 2 tbsp (or a mixture of black and white sesame seeds)
- For garnish (optional) :
- Spring onion greens
- To serve :
- Sweet Chilli Sauce or
- Sweet, Sour and Hot Sauce or
- Chilli jam
- Take tofu block and put it in a bowl of hot water for 3 to 4 mins (not more). Drain well. You can keep this tofu in a muslin cloth and put it between two wooden blocks for few minutes to drain well as tofu contains large quantities of water. Cut into cubes.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the batter. Add enough water to make a thick batter.
- In another shallow bowl/plate combine the crushed cornflakes (crush with hands) and the sesame seeds. Mix lightly.
- Dip the tofu cubes in the batter, roll in the cornflakes mixture and shallow fry in hot oil. Fry on all sides till they turn golden brown.
- Garnish and serve hot.