A delicious, crisp appetizer with garlic, onion, and chili flakes. Serve with a lemon Greek yogurt for a complete snack.
By Simone Van Den Berg
This is a quick and delicious sidedish and I really loved them. Donna Hay, the creator of the recipe, used heirloom carrots but I could only find the orange ones, so that is what I used… And well, considering the time of year it would be a nice snack during any football match or mid-afternoon.
- 360 gr grated carrot
- 1.5 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 egg whites
- 50 gr rice flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Greek yoghurt and lemon to serve
- Place the grated carrot, garlic, chili, lemonzest, eggwhites, flour, salt and pepper into a large bowl and mix well.
- If it's too wet add a little more flour. Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Make flat cookie sized forms with your hands and bake them in batches for about 2-4 minutes each side until golden and crispy.
- Serve with the yoghurt and lemon parts.