This vegan cauliflower soup is ultra creamy and smooth. Amp up its delicate flavor with a tangy drizzle of sumac oil.
By Vicky Cohen & Ruth Fox
Creamy Saffron Cauliflower Soup with Sumac Oil
Author: Vicky Cohen & Ruth Fox
Recipe Type: Soup
Serves: 8 cups
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs frozen or fresh cauliflower florets
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 5 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 20 saffron threads
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp sumac
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Sautée onion and garlic in olive oil in large soup pot, over medium heat, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 10-12 minutes
- Add 5 cups of water, bring to a boil and simmer until cauliflower is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add saffron, stir and cover. Let the saffron steep for about 20 minutes.
- Blend soup in a blender until creamy.
- Serve hot or warm with a drizzle of sumac oil.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined