These Coconut Balls are a deliciously traditional Croatian Christmas treat.
By Tamara Novacoviç
This is a holiday treat made traditionally in Croatia for Christmas holidays. If you like coconut, you will surely like these. They look very appropriate, like tiny snowballs. They are slightly unusual: made with powdered milk, which gives them unique flavor. They were my childhood favorite and remind me of mom’s cooking.Print
Lovely festive winter treat.
- Author: Tamara Novacovic
- 7 oz (200 g) powdered milk
- 7/8 cup (200 g) sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 0.4 cups (100 ml) water
- 7 oz (200 g) coconut flour
- 4.4 oz (125 g) butter
- 3.5 oz (100 g) hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- Cook water with butter and sugar. When it comes to a boil, cook for another 5 minutes and set aside to cool slightly. Add vanilla, powdered milk and half of coconut flour. Let cool in fridge.
- Roll into balls. Put 1 toasted and skinned hazelnut in the center of each coconut ball. Roll balls into the rest of coconut flour.
Tamara Novakovic is a passionate self-taught cook, food blogger, freelance food writer and photographer behind bite-my-cake.blogspot.com. Her life journey has led her through Faculty of Humanities in Zagreb, Croatia to discovering passion for making cakes. She is currently a weekly food columnist for Croatian newspaper V magazine and food magazine Repete.