Without gluten or dairy, this coconut neapolitan cake is stacked high with mousses for a delicious dessert, no oven needed.
Summer is the perfect season for raw cakes… When it’s 33 C (like it is here in Italy) and turning on the oven is the last thing on your mind, putting together a quick yet delicious Raw Neapolitan Cake is the best way to satisfy our dessert cravings, while staying healthy… and cool!
Besides having two delicious layers that combine the classic Neapolitan Cake flavors (berry & chocolate) in their wholesome raw version, what’s great about this recipe is the delicious crust!! You know those amazing protein bars we like to snack on when we’re out? I combined a couple from my favorite brand, Square Bar, and they made for the perfect raw cake base!
All of the square bars flavors are organic, gluten and dairy free but what’s cool about them is that, as opposed to 90% of the other protein bars which are filled with nuts, Square Bars (except for the Almond and Peanut Butter flavors) are also nut free and suitable for those who have nut allergies!!
For the Crust:
- ½ tsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Square Bars I used the Chocolate Coated Crunch flavor
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
For the Cherry Layer:
- 1 ripe Banana
- 1 tbs of Pomegranate Powder Optional. I used “Sunfood”
- 1 tbs Coconut Milk
- 4 frozen Cherries
- 1 tbs Coconut Flour
For the Middle Coconut Layer:
- 2 tbsp shredded Coconut Flakes
- 2 tsp Raw Honey
For the Chocolate Avocado Layer:
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tbs Cacao
- 1 tbs Maple Syrup
- juice of 1/2 of a Lemon
- 1 tbs of Coconut Flakes
- 20 gr Dark Chocolate
- 5 Raspberries
- Place the square bars (leave ¼ of a bar aside for decoration) and the coconut flour in a food processor and blend until crumbs form.
- In a small sauce pan heat up the coconut oil. Toss in the crust mixture and mix until it’s well combined and sticks together.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a 6 inch silicon mold using your fingers or the back of a tablespoon. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Place all ingredients for the cherry layer into a blender and process until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the cherry cream over the crust and spread it out evenly using a rubber spatula.
- Create the middle coconut layer sprinkling the shredded coconut on top of the cream making sure it’s nicely thick along the borders as well. Drizzle some honey over the shredded coconut and place the cake in the freezer for 15 minutes to set before adding the next layer.
- In the meantime, prepare the Chocolate Avocado Layer by mixing all the ingredients in your blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and gently pour this layer evenly over the cherry layer.
- Place the cake in the freezer and let it freeze for at least 4 or 5 hours. I leave it overnight.
- When the cake is already frozen, decorate it with some raspberries, melted chocolate and pieces of chopped Square Bars.
- Store the cake in the freezer, and take it out 20 minutes before serving so it softens.
If you have never tried them, you can get 20% off your Square Bar purchase by using the discount code “littlebitesofbeauty”, and try a whole box for only $23.99 (instead of $29.99) + free shipping in the US.
Alternatively, you can use another one of your favorite protein bars… just keep in mind Square Bars weight 49 gr each, so you’ll need about 100 gr total.
I hope you enjoyed my Raw Neapolitan Cake and that it came out so pretty that couldn’t help but snapping a photo and sending it to me!!
I send you all a big kiss and I will catch you next time!!
Born and raised in Italy, Ambra is a healthy recipe developer, food and travel writer with a passion for healthy living and wellness. She is the founder of 'Little Bites of Beauty" and the author of the cookbooks "Healthy Italian Desserts Made Simple" and "The AIP Italian Cookbook". She shares her daily food & travel adventures on her Instagram @LittleBitesofBeauty