With warm spices, this nut milk is easy to execute, no straining required. Enjoy in coffee, cereal, baking, or on its own.
By Robin Runner
I’ve been making almond milk for about a year now. I’ve recently been branching out and making some nut combo milks and they are so good. I will be posting recipes on that in the future. But one, easy peasy great starter milk is this… cashew milk! It’s heavenly. Why do I think it’s the best starter milk – because it whips up in your high powered blender (I used my Vitamix) and there is no pulp removal etc. involved. You can whip this up in a matter of minutes. You just need to soak the raw cashews. That’s key! Totally vegan. Protein packed. A hint of sweetness that makes it undeniably addictive. Kids and adults will love. Promise!
The nuts will puff up a bit after soaking and become quite fragile and break down easily. Blends up perfectly . You can also add maple syrup in lieu of the pitted dates or omit the cinnamon if you prefer.
- 1 cup of raw, unsalted pistachios
- Purified water to soak the cashews in overnight
- 3 cups of purified water for blending
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla paste (you can use extract or 1 vanilla bean pod opened with the interior scraped out)
- Place your cashews in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak overnight.
- The next morning or when you’re ready to use, rinse well and drain.
- Into your Vitamix or blender, add the nuts, 3 cups of cold water, dates, cinnamon and vanilla (if using the pod just add the interior pod seeds that you scraped out). Blend on high for about 1 minute or until completely blended. It will resemble a milk consistency.
- Pour into a jar or container and refrigerate immediately – it gets quite warm blending on a high speed.
- Enjoy on your cereal, oatmeal, baking, coffee, tea or drinking straight up. Warm it before bed and enjoy too!