The chocolate and espresso flavors from the stout beer pair perfectly with decadent chocolate cake and fudge frosting.
By Kelsey Hilts
These cupcakes are a crowd-pleaser during any season and for any occasion. For summer BBQ’s and potlucks when the beer is flowing, and for cozy winter nights when a rich, chocolate comfort food is needed, simply use stout or porter beer for the liquid in your favorite chocolate cake recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (1 12-ounce bottle) Obsidian Stout beer
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4-1/2 cups (563 g) powdered sugar (no need to sift)
- 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp Obsidian Stout beer
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder, and combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Beat the batter on medium speed for two minutes until fully mixed.
- Add the beer and stir until just incorporated. (The batter will be thin.)
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake liners (or two 9-inch cake pans that are greased and floured.)
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for a few minutes in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with Stout Fudge frosting.
- Place all of the ingredients in the food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients to combine them.
- Process the frosting until smooth and creamy.
Kelsey Hilts is the founder of Itsy Bitsy Foodies, an online resource for families looking for ways to spend more time together enjoying food and exploring the world beyond the children’s menu.