The chocolate and espresso flavors from the stout beer pair perfectly with decadent chocolate cake and fudge frosting.
By Kelsey Hilts
These cupcakes are a crowd-pleaser during any season and for any occasion. For summer BBQ’s and potlucks when the beer is flowing, and for cozy winter nights when a rich, chocolate comfort food is needed, simply use stout or porter beer for the liquid in your favorite chocolate cake recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (1 12-ounce bottle) Obsidian Stout beer
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4-1/2 cups (563 g) powdered sugar (no need to sift)
- 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp Obsidian Stout beer
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder, and combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Beat the batter on medium speed for two minutes until fully mixed.
- Add the beer and stir until just incorporated. (The batter will be thin.)
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake liners (or two 9-inch cake pans that are greased and floured.)
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for a few minutes in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with Stout Fudge frosting.
- Place all of the ingredients in the food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients to combine them.
- Process the frosting until smooth and creamy.