A simple banana sheet cake is easy to whip up, but seems so elegant when topped with a silky chocolate ganache.
What do you guys think about sheet cakes? They aren’t as popular as the round cakes but if you ask me to feed a crowd of 20 people, I would always make a sheet cake. First of all, they are so easy to make and then it’s so easy to slice and serve them. Whether it’s a birthday party or potluck or any get together, sheet cakes are the way to go.
I keep sharing these banana muffin recipes on my blog all the time. So this time when I had ripe bananas at home, I thought to change things a bit and make this sheet cake in stead.
You can make the cake a day in advance. Let it cool down and then wrap the cake tightly using a cling sheet. You can then keep it at room temperature or in the refrigerator overnight. Next morning, prepare the ganache, pour it over the cake and serve.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk I used 2%
- 1 cup mashed banana from 3-4 bananas
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together all purpose flour, salt, cinnamon powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment of your stand mixer or using your hand mixer, beat butter and sugar till creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix. Add eggs, one at a time and mix till well combined.
- Now add the mashed bananas and mix till combined.
- Then add the flour mix in parts. Add it in 3 parts. Add greek yogurt and milk alternatively with the flour.
- Mix till everything is combined but do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 30-35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and after 5 minutes flip on to the wire rack. Peel the parchment paper and let it cool completely.
Food lover, recipe developer, food photographer and a big time baking addict. I live in Seattle with my husband and share simple and delicious vegetarian recipes on my blog Cook With Manali.