Brownie sundaes just got easier to eat and utensil free. Chewy, creamy, and a thin crunchy outer shell bring together these addictive ice cream bars.
By Chris Cockren
Out of nowhere, I had this vision. Let’s make that brownie sundae. But let’s make it handheld. No utensils needed. Yea, a handheld brownie sundae, encased in a homemade magic shell. And who knew making a homemade magic chocolate shell was as easy as 2 simple ingredients. Chocolate + Coconut Oil. I seriously can’t wait to serve these up with friends. And best part… I can make them way ahead of time and have them just chilling out in the freezer waiting for their triumphant debut.
- 1 box or recipe of your favorite brownies
- 1 (1.5 quart) container of your favorite ice cream
- 16 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to stated temperature on brownie recipe. Line a 9x9" square baking pan with foil or parchment paper, allowing extra to hang over the sides of the pan, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Spread about ¼" even layer of brownie batter into the pan and cook until done, approximately 20 minutes.
- Let brownies cool completely in the 9x9" baking pan. Remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften slightly.
- Add an even layer of ice cream, about ¾" thick, on top of the brownies (I used about 1 quart of the ice cream). Use an offset spatula dipped in hot water to shape and smooth out the ice cream into an even layer.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in freezer until ice cream is solid, at least 4 hours.
- Remove pan from freezer and using the foil or parchment overhangs, lift the brownie/ice cream block out of the pan and place on a cutting board.
- Remove foil/parchment and working quickly, cut the ice cream into 9 equal squares.
- Place on a baking sheet and return to freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Combine chocolate with coconut oil in microwave safe dish. On half power, microwave chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, just until chocolate is melted and coconut oil is fully incorporated. Let cool to room temperature.
- Remove baking sheet from freezer and working quickly, use a large fork or your fingers to dip ice cream squares one at a time into chocolate mixture and fully coat. Place dipped squares onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Return bars to freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If planning longer storage, after the 30 minutes, wrap each brownie sundae bar individually in plastic wrap and store in ziploc bag in freezer.