Chewy pumpkin bars are loaded with chocolate and oats for a sweet dessert that is actually quite filling and loaded with fiber from flaxseed.
By Taylor Kadlec
These Chocolate Chip and Pumpkin Bars with Oats are a hybrid dessert. They’re yummy enough to be considered dessert but also somewhat healthy enough, being loaded with oats and pumpkin, to snack on through out the day.
The bars are thick and chewy from the oats and whole wheat flour and I love the combination of pumpkin spices and chocolate.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup flaxseed (whole or ground)
- 3 tablespoons brewers yeast, or an additional 3 tablespoons of flour for non-lactation bars
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (14 oz) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, measured in melted state
- ¾ cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine flour, oats, flax, brewers yeast, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir well to combine.
- In medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, coconut oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 38-42 minutes, until slightly golden and toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!